Monday, November 24, 2008

Closure!

11.35 PM, 24th Nov, Monday

There are times when you absolutely dread certain forced meetings lest you wake up the peacefully sleeping ghosts. I recently came across such a time when I had to attend the marriage of mine and A's friend. The only difference was that my ghosts were not yet at rest.. they were in the pre-sleep cranky period.

Words fall short to describe the pre-meeting trepidation. But lack of sleep the previous night gives an indication to the unrest. Thankfully teaching kept me busy that morning and I was to meet him in the afternoon. Without being able to make up for lost sleep even at noon, I dragged myself to andheri station dressed in my finest (after all it helps your confidence when u look so good ;) ).

After a barely audible 'hello' , we sat in the train for a 40 min journey to churchgate. And that forty mins unwound us enough to begin casual fair weather talk. We were the first ones to arrive at the scheduled place... not even the groom had come! We reached there, with a no-hostility agreement.

The baaraat started and so did the good times- dancing, drums beating into your ears, fire crackers clogging your nose and fogging your eyes, basically making you lose all senses possible. But that helped in losing a lot of discomfort too. And by the time the baaraat reached the mandap, A and me were almost like two people who dont mind hanging around with one another.

With tired legs and no seat, a bunch of us went and sat at the reception area and conversations flowed, except that I didnt talk. Somehow, like those lost times, A sensed my silence and so we went for a walk. The setting was perfect for a heart to heart. Sea-side, wet grass, soft music. (It was a wonder how they found such a paradise for a reception in BOMBAY!!!)

We talked about the past, about the present and thankfully not about the future. We cleared out grudges and regrets. And by the end of the conversation, I felt relieved, relaxed, rejuvinated. I felt free. After that and a vodka, the party livened up for me and I ended having a great time. I interacted with people I had lost touch with and made the typical promises of keeping in touch! I shared many a laughs (quite a few on me) with these wonderful people. And in the end, I was actually sad to return.

After dropping me off like a gentleman, he left. I knew I wouldnt be calling him up regularly and I knew neither would he. I knew we will not be seeing each other for a really long time, atleast till the next common friend's wedding. But I did know for sure that our next meeting would be a pleasant one, and I would dare to say, a beautiful one.

For life is too short to dislike people so nice.

No comments: