Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The stars and stripes of joy

This post was supposed to be written some time ago.. 6 days ago precisely; when I got out of my lab late evening and the words captured me on my short walk back home. But the absolute masti that goes on with roomies after I reach home prevented me from being able to even switch on the laptop, let alone blog!

But it would have been unfair to those words if they didnt see the light of the blog page! So here I go, with less than 16 hours to go for my second exam- my most unprepared one till date (except the numerous ones back home :)), sitting in my lab, at the risk of being reprimanded by my professor for my joblessness, creating inordinately long sentences and finally begin writing this post! (Phew- that took some skill to come up with! :)). So here goes nothing:


Walking out from morgue like temperature into sunlight,
Thawed by the evening sun gentle and bright,
I think and wonder of the different life I lead here
And I want to recollect all the experiences I've had before they smear!

The nervousness entrenched stay in the first few weeks
Filled with all kinds of observations and new discoveries,
The people, the places, all nice and new,
Making me believe life's not that askew!

Then starting an exciting novel academic journey,
Lab work, courses and earning my first penny,
Numerous number of F**K ups and embarrassment,
But ultimately walking out of the pipet room triumphant!

Later loving and sharing with roomies not so few,
Mock fighting and bizzare teasing as friends would do,
Falling for every second guy I meet,
Living the single life ever so sweet!

Insane and carefree masti all through the weekend,
Later struggling with no proper sleep for days on end,
Going for long midnight walks and talks before an exam
And wrapping up the test thinking 'damn damn damn!'

Celebrating both pot luck festivals and poker scandals,
Interspersed with spontaneous birthday parties and magic candles,
Enjoying pool parties and tucson sky sooper,
Spending nights in absolute drunken stupor!

Now writing this poem with a half eaten brownie in hand
Letting the small little brain with thoughts expand,
Summoning up the memories of all things I've done here,
I finally realize this unique 'American' experience has been very very, dear!


No comments: